Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Recovery Mode

I didn't pull up from running Six Foot as well as I did from North Face, no sir.

Fair to say that I was doing a good impersonation of someone with a very strange gait on Monday and Tuesday.  Monday I decided to go the gym with Yvonne and do some core work (pinched from the PT's routine) i.e. standing on bosu throwing a medicine ball, standing on one leg throwing a medicine ball, lying on back lifting a swiss ball with knees, and crunches with a kettle bell.  I figured if my legs were going to hurt, I may as well have my upper body hurt too.  We also did some work on the treadmill (2km), some tricep dips and we jumped up and down off a box for a bit.  All good clean fun, and after an hour or so of ridiculous looking exercises, we set off for a brisk 7km walk around the river. 

Tuesday dawned bright and clear and AGONISING!!  Everything had just got tighter, sorer and stiffer.  There was only one thing for it - a run.  So 5km around the lake - a painful 5km I might add, but after a shower and slipping the feet back into heels, I actually felt really good again. 

Today I did 6km round the lake, 5km of which I ran hard. 

Lap 1    5:35
Lap 2    5:31
Lap 3    5:37
Lap 4    5:46
Lap 5    5:15

Why am I writing down this nonsense I hear you say?  Well because at the moment, I can only hold this pace for a short amount of time - say 5km.  The plan is to work up to a half marathon at 5.50 pace which would give me my under 2 hour time that I would dearly love.  But I need to write it down so I can look back WHEN I improve (not IF).

Next week, when my legs are not so tired from Six Foot shenanigans I will try to do 10km at about this pace.

This weekend I am running on the M7 course with BB which I am looking forward to, because he will obviously be faster than me, so will be another quicker session. 

Tonight I am doing a step class!!!  Break out the 80's leotard and leg warmers!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sonia
    I was told you were running 6ft - great effort. I hope you enjoyed a tough 46k or so. Now that half marathon and sub 2 hours. I goal you should be able to achieve with some good training over the next few months. Maybe you return to your first and run Mudgee again on the 23 August. Best wishes and I will continue to peep into your Blogg to see how you are going.

    ReplyDelete