Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stuff - Exciting to me. Probably not to you.

Inventory of exciting things on the horizon:

  1. This weekend Six Foot Track - 45kms of trail - hopefully with a smile
  2. Woodford to Glenbrook - 26km of trails - with a return journey up the hill just for fun
  3. The M7 Marathon - Team Angry Dolphins return for a second bout - watch this space
  4. City to Surf Weekend - booked accommodation, time off work, running with friends for a purpose
  5. Willy to Billy - wanted to do this race for the last two years - now I can.  Giddyup!!
The immediate thoughts go to Six Foot this weekend, but really, it is too late to worry and I will be in good hands, with good company,  this will be FUN.

Next, W2G - I have done this race twice now.  First year this was a huge step up for me, I had only ever run 10km beforehand, and took on the 26km blindly.  First year, after the run, I sat down and thought I had shattered my pelvis, such was the pain in my - I dunno - back / hips / pelvis / everything.

Last year I ran with a friend and whilst I did a 15 min PB I still don't think I gave it my all.

So this year, I would really like to "race" it.  Yes, a quantity totally unknown to me, but one I would like to explore.  Lets see.  After about 1km I might get bored with the "race it" philosophy and decide it is just a training run, but honestly, in my heart, I would like to race it.  Yes I am slow, but if I am honest, I am not that  slow and I can do this.  Game on.  To myself.

Then, very very exciting, is the M7 Marathon.  I am still not ready for a marathon, and I know that.  And to be honest, I am not all that excited about the prospect of running 42.2km alongside a motorway and waste disposal plant.  So my lovely other Angry Dolphin has agreed to a team effort.  God love him.  So we will do it as a team thingy, and hopefully have a bit of fun into the bargain.  I love my wee mate Other Angry Dolphin, he is just so GORGEOUS and happy to do anything just for a laugh, a run, a bike ride or a beer.  A good bloke in my books.  I will never forget that he gave me the opportunity to do North Face and that meant so much to me.

Then.....drum roll......I get to coerce my good friend Marie and her hubby Ian into City to Surf.  This is something that I am doing for them.  They need it.  They need to stop smoking.  They need to get fit.  They have talked about doing this for the last couple of years.  So I entered them, booked them accommodation and will do it with them.  John is even giving up his soccer on that day.  So Marie and I set off on a training plan = and suddenly she was called to Switzerland to work.  Hmmmm....some people will do anything to get out of training.....ah well, that leaves Ian in my hands.....


And then - Willy to Billy.  I sooooo wanted to do this race last year.  Things just didn't go my way last year, and I couldn't do it.  I was really afraid of the distance too.  Now, I am like - 38km?  or 34km?  or whatever it is?  Good .  Bring. It. On.   Not that I am fantastically fast, or experienced, but that distance no longer scares me.  I just need to train better and get faster now.  I need Sharenes fancy footwork on the rocky bits,  how do you learn that?  Sharene????

All v exciting to me.  Immediate thoughts are to try and get the M7 half marathon time down....under 2 hours would be amazing to me.  Ok.... Under two hours it is.....  that's the goal.....

3 comments:

  1. It's exciting to me. Hopefully my legs can survive the return trip from G to W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh Martin. We will have a lafffffff "running" back up that hill babyyyyy...

    PS I no longer hate my hair. In fact, I quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's exciting just reading all that!

    Great plans, now for the execution ...

    ReplyDelete