Wednesday, July 7, 2010

King of The Mountain

King of the Mountain - (32km up a lot of hills)  was hard, harder than I expected.  Lots of "gentle" uphills, and I ran with Tim who is clearly faster than me, so I was busy just keeping up and nodding really.  I did have two rather embarrassing moments, one at the first drink station where I nearly tripped over, caught myself in time, yelled out SHITE at the top of my voice and Tim put his hand out to catch me and got a handful of left boob.  So everyone who turned round to see what was going on was treated to a man groping an almost falling over runner muttering expletives.  Good start.

Second drink station I was so freaking puffed from keeping up with Tim that I gulped down some water and it went down the wrong way, resulting in a very unladylike coughing fit which almost bordered on that loud and unapealling retching noise.  Fab.

As the third drink station approached, Tim asked if I was right and would I be able to cope with the obvious distraction of the drink station.  I am pleased to report that I was fine.

We came to a cute little river crossing, which also featured a photographer who took what appeared to be several hundred snaps of me.  Obviously he's seen my type before, won't buy the photo unless it is perfect, so has to take 27 of me and one of Tim, knowing if my hair is not quite right there will be no sale.  Like that freaking photographer from the Woodford to Glenbrook.  Did he bring his Fat Bastard lens I wonder?  Or just his Stupid Hair lens?  Or perhaps both.  Again, glad I entered that under a false name, although I think my cover may have been blown...Anyway, I reminded Tim about how I fell over at North Face due to the over zealous photographer and he noted that I don't cope well with distractions whilst running.  He has a point......

Then, there was a little sign that said "Slight Incline Ahead".  There are some freaking comedians down the South Coast, that's for sure.

This was at the foot of Mount Scanzi - it looked like we were going up a cliff.  Thankfully we sort of wound around and up and not straight up.  That would have involved ropes and crampons I think.

After getting to the top, there was ANOTHER drink station - and they had RUM!!!  And guess what - I resisted.  I may have been braver running down that hill had I taken a wee nip.  But that is by the by.

Anyway, at this point Tim wanted to fang it and see what he could do, and I was happy to let him go and just plod along on my own.  I was happy to be able to resort to a pace that suited me because I was tired to be honest and keeping up chatty upbeat conversation when you are struggling isn't always easy, although I was really really glad of the company and the distraction, but maybe not the groping bit.   

I did enjoy the last 7 kms or so, despite them being tough and having knee troubles, blister woes and oddly, a cramp in my little toe!!  I raced Woodford to Glenbrook the previous weekend and was tired from giving that a good lash (and to be honest, tired from partying on Friday night as well), so was happy to just sit back into it and try to maintain a decent pace - and it got a bit mental in that I had to tell myself I could keep going, when I really felt like I couldn't.  I kept telling myself I had it in me to finish and I was getting stronger, even though that is a load of rubbish and when some wag local drove up on his postie bike along side me and offered me a lift into town for $20 I WAS TEMPTED!!!  (And I had exactly $20 in my camelbak).

Anyway, I did that cross between a smile and a grimace that I find works well when you are doing it tough, and finished in 3 hours and 46 minutes.  I felt on top of the world afterwards, knowing that it was hard work but I did it.  The last 7kms are very runnable, and being fitter (and perhaps better rested) would mean I could really give it a lash in that last section, so I think we need a rematch next year, that mountain and I.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great run. Suprisingly having lived at the Gong for 4yrs whilst at uni and possibly at my running peak. I have never done this one. Always look at it but never enter. Must look at it again in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top effort. I'm sure the company would have made the climb up the mountain a good distraction. So proud you didn't sneak in a nip of Rum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great run Sonia. I'm impressed you kept up with someone to the top of the mountain! My 'running with a friend' at W2G lasted 3kms until I set the greyhound free. You are having some great adventures this year. When's the Angry Dolphins book coming out???

    ReplyDelete