Sunday, January 23, 2011

Solution to Banjaxed Achilles...

Well, my achilles treatment involved a week in Fiji in flip flops, the best calf massage I ever had in my life and a lot of Fiji Gold.  Oh, and no running.  And miraculously, it is better.

I also learnt a lot in Fiji.  I learnt that Pedicures aren't for me, nor is Fiji style braiding and don't put a lot of sunscreen on before a banana boat ride with colleagues.  All that slipping off and not being able to get back on can get embarrassing.  I think the pedicure lady was ready to ask me to leave, nobody told me they took a brillo pad to the soles of your feet and rubbed at all the giggly bits until you are ready to wet your pants.  Nor was I informed before this supposedly relaxing pursuit that they have little dentist-like implements and they cut you with them.  My foot was inadvertantly kicking at this poor lady meanwhile Karina, who had brought me to this torture and lied to me telling me it was very relaxing was sitting there nonchalantly reading a magazine carrying on like she was ENJOYING hers.  People are wierd, I tell you.

I also learnt that my will power is crap.  Dry January was powering along until I got to Fiji,  but as soon as I sat down behind a cocktail menu I discovered I had a FIERCE thirst on me and ordered a Mai Tai, following the lead of the rest of the group (just call me a sheep - baaaaa).  Well, I discovered Mai Tais weren't for me, so ventured into unknown territory of the Mojito, then the Pina Colada and well, then someone cracked open a bottle of Veuve Cliquot and well the rest of the night was a bit hazy.  The next day I declared Dry January back on (easy enough at 9am) but upon wandering back to my room after conference day one via the Pool Bar and meeting up with other thirsty colleagues, my will power wavered and suddenly I found myself with a Fiji Gold in my hand.  I don't know how that happened.  This pattern continued throughout the holiday (conference, schmonference) with each morning being declared the resumption of Dry January and me calling it officially on hold by 4pm.  Needless to say, no running occurred during the entire 8 days of the trip and there was very little sleeping either. I am glad to say, however that I took the FIVE running outfits out of my bag replacing them with a more sensible two.


The day I flew into Sydney, I had an interview set up for a job I REALLY really am keen on.  In fact, it is the job I have been after for a number of years now.  And I really think I am ready for it now.  Timing is good.  So I had to get up early (4am) get to the airport, be delayed, fly for four hours, kill three hours in Sydney, then have my interview.  First mishap was someone making me laugh on the bus to the airport and me spluttering my cup of tea all over myself.  Bit of a wipe down and I was right.  Next, on the plane, I discovered my "nice" linen dress had literally fallen apart across the backside, in a kind of trendy ripped sort of a way that might be good for clubbing but certainly not for a professional interview.  Well, there was something to do in my three hours of hanging around Sydney - shopping.  Found the perfect dress, fixed up my makeup and got into my suitcase to find my hairspray only to find that my little bottle of toothpaste had exploded en route to cover EVERYTHING in little glittery minty squares and a sticky greeny blue mess.  Wiped off the can of hairspray (which was by now missing a cap) and sprayed the hairdo only to find my head covered in little glittery squares and a very strong aroma of mint.  By now, time was running out, and so that is how I turned up to the interview (but at least my bum wasn't hanging out of my dress like it had been on the airplane).

So - trip to Fiji a humiliating lesson in lack of willpower, but I will say I had the time of my life, but will also remember not to go below deck on a Fijian boat after a big night.  Wondering if I should just stay off the ankle until after Australia Day - DO NOT want to let my team mates down - and if I start to run again and hurt the ankle before Wednesdays race I will be very very upset.  In terms of how I feel about Wednesday - FREAKING TERRIFIED!  What possessed me to ask these beautiful but very accomplished people to be in a relay team with ME???  ME!!  Slowpoke of the century.  However this year is all about putting that aside and doing stuff DESPITE that.  So, 6hr relay race, here I come.  Farrkkkk!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment