Saturday, June 11, 2011

Running, riding, next I'll be freaking swimming....

Got up at 5am this morning to meet Simon for an early run - he was under strict instructions that it would be slow because my achilles is STILL faffing about being sore.  Was quite nervous, as putting the foot on the floor getting out of bed this morning was somewhat tender - but when I started running, it didn't get any worse.  Still the run was slow and painful and not like the last few weeks where I have felt stronger and faster.  Ah well.  I am never going to win anything anyway, but it would be nice to be able to challenge myself a wee bit. 

Stopped off on the way home to buy a big bag of ice and iced the living daylights out of ankle and calf which really really really helped.  Filled the bath, immersed it, yelled, cursed, shouted at the pain, managed ten seconds max until I worked out it was the toes that were really unhappy, and fashioned a "calf in, achilles in, but no toes in" stance, which worked well.  Achilles felt good all day.

Spent the afternoon on a 42km ride in the rain with Monica.  At one point it was dismally cold, there was an icy wind and a big hill and a lot of sore thigh action but I thought how nice and rounded my bottom might be if I could do this a little more often, and then I thought, stuff my bottom, I don't care, ARE WE CLOSE TO HOME YET?????  Because it very quickly went from exhilarating to freaking freezing and quite unpleasant.  Once the wind died down it was ok again and we even decided to do one more lap for Jesus around Parramatta Park before calling it a day.  This has been my first real foray into city bike riding, although almost all the riding we did was on a cycle path.  About five minutes from Monicas place, the door of a parked car opens about five metres from my face, with me swerving only just in time to avoid the certain discomfort of flying over the handlebars and over the car door.  Note to self.  Note to self nothing.  Not sure how to avoid this one.  Anyway, home, showered, warm, and feeling tired but happy and gearing up for another ankle plunge into the Bath of Doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment