Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Harbour Bridge Run

Last night I went to bed at 8pm and set the alarm for five o'freaking clock - the plan being an early and invigorating run before work and in my mind I would be rocking up to work with pink cheeks and that smug feeling of having been up, done my workout before the rest of the world had even got in the shower.....

My sub conscious had other plans, however, and I woke at 11.30pm from a freaky dream about crustaceans hatching out of my bottom.  Needless to say I lay awake mulled over this subliminal message my brain was sending me for hours and was unable to get up at the aforementioned hour to run.  This made me a little grumpy.

However, no-one ever got anywhere by being grumpy, so I packed my running gear and despite having normal massive handbag full of carrots, pepsi max and a punnet of tomatoes, I also had my work notebook, some files, and then my running gear, hair putting up gear, makeup touch up gear, iPod gear and emergency fake hair gear, all packed and on the train with me, as well as my oatmeal and protein powder shake in another bag just in case it leaked.  But I did all this because I was DETERMINED to run in the freaking daylight at least once this week.

I have lived in this beautiful country for almost twenty years.  Hang on, it is 21 years (how did I miss that???) and I have NEVER worked in the City before.  So I still get goosebumps going over the harbour bridge and seeing the Opera House and being part of the ebb and flow of commuters at city train stations.  I do, I love it.  But today, just running over the bridge on a normal Wednesday in June was a totally massive thrill for little old me.  I felt part of something.  If that makes any sense.

Plus the added benefit of getting out in the (somewhat freaking frosty) fresh air, seeing sunlight on a workday, and generally getting away from my desk was BLOODY FANTASTIC.  It was icy in the city today with a strong icy wind to boot.  But it was just marvellous to be out there getting hot and sweaty and my hair in my eyes with the harbour beneath me, the traffic beside me and fellow runners, walkers, tourists (and a couple of very bored security guys) around me.

My little mind has been feeling very unhappy lately about the amount of time I waste on trains, and the dark nasty conditions either in the morning or at night, so now I know I have NO FECKING EXCUSES!!!  My commitment to MYSELF is 2 lunchtime runs per week.

I will still do my Thurs night run prior to the PT session and my normal carry on at the weekends. (Note - "normal carry on" may vary from weekend to weekend...).

Once more I feel much more positive about the future.  Plus I have managed to make my new eating regime a habit, having been at it for about four weeks now.  Feeling good, positive and despite my FARKING achilles being really really sore post run, I am still smiling (if not smelling slightly of deep heat and looking slightly ridiculous in black silk nightie, one compression sock and a snake bandage over the top).  



No comments:

Post a Comment