Sunday, July 31, 2011

Marathons and stuff

So it's been about two weeks now that I have been really happy with the achilles.  So last week I tested it out on a "longer" run.  And mentioned I thought I could do a half marathon.  And some eejit commented that I could do a full marathon.  Which got me thinking.  And then Kendra and Blake sent an email to say they had entered and had accommodation and did we want to stay with them, and so it all came to pass without too much grief.  So I am now entered in a marathon in just over two months and can I just say, the very IDEA of a marathon scares the absolute bejesus out of me. But I have hummmmed and hawwwwed over life decisions for the past six months, maybe physical strength will lead to mental strength?  Every time I complete another training session I feel good and at the moment, I need all the feel good moments I can get.  So - 42.2km here I come.

This week was interesting.  According to my new fangled Garmin, I did 63km, which isn't a bad start.  Although 27km of that was a hike with no running at all.  The summary of this week:

Monday 4km which was all I could fit in before work
Wednesday 8.5km with hills.
Thursday  10km at a faster than normal training pace
Saturday 13.5km "long" (and flat) run
Sunday 27km hike in the national park, not many hills.

Which is not exactly brilliant marathon training, but hey it is week one.

So next week I will do a 25km flat run and then a long hike on Sunday (planning to see Jerusalem Bay, sounds like a really nice hike).  The following week will keep it lower key as the week after we are doing a training run on Six Foot Track.  We did this last year and I wouldn't say it was easy, but I was running more then.  I don't know if I would say I was fitter, I have been doing a lot of longer, slower stuff of late, so I can hold my own over distance - I think!!!

In the meantime, I need to get out on that bike - it is finding the time or rather making the time for all this.  In between sitting on a train for three hours a day four days a week.  It CAN be done!!!  It WILL be done!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment