Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Shoes - Hoka One One Bondi B's

A friend told me about these new shoes that he got that annihalated injury, and bounced you along a bit like Tigger.  I had to try them.  Suffering from achilles injuries for most of my running life, I thought, why not?  Put them on and I have to say they felt bizarre!  Like I was rocking back and forth.  They put me in mind of those shoes that tone your arse that are advertised at midnight on the dodgy commercial channels.

I ran my first km in them around 5.40 min kms, which is faster than my average 6.20 min kms!  Just a smidge!!   Positively bounded around the streets, thinking, mistakenly, that any injury I was currently nursing would miraculously dissappear and I would be free to run my little heart out.  Of course, by the fourth kilometre the achilles Let Itself Be Known.  It was upset and angry after the half marathon and Saturdays 14km didn't help.  I didn't stretch or ice or do the stick roller so it is my own damn fault.  But lets not let that get in the way of a good story.  So lets talk about walking in these new running shoes.  Well, it engages muscles I don't think I have ever used because the backs of my calves were singing a rather unhappy song as I marched purposefully up Old Bathurst Road.  I imagined I was engaging muscles that I don't usually - I won't write these shoes off - FAR FROM IT - but they are NOT DESIGNED for walking.  Bursting  back in to running felt good despite the yukky achilles.  At least the calves were happy.

I think these shoes will be GREAT training for different leg muscles, the engagement of my arse, which has long been a problem with my running (I rely on the fronts of my thighs),  so I will be seen knocking around in my "clown shoes" and hopefully will get used to them, because  that SPRING you get in your step is just AWESOME!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment