Sunday, January 29, 2012

Summertime, me and running just don't mix.  They never have.  After two weeks of keeping off my Achilles, I decided to have an easy run.  First 5km was either flat, or downhill.  Next 2km of bush steps and trail. Ok the bush steps are steep but not "achilles-busting steep" like a hill would be.  Final 3kms home gentle incline.  And by the final 3kms my achilles was WAILING again.  So. Fucking. Frustrating. 

Good things about the run were the feeling of freedom running downhill, the feel good stuff released into my brain at the start, the bubbling brook that is usually dry and the smell of the trails after the rain. 

However, I am just going to have to keep busy with "other things".  Last week was a 40km ride which was actually really good.  During the week I've been walking, which is ok, but it takes forever to do my "normal" run!!   This afternoon I am going somewhere I thought I would NEVER revisit - the gym!!!  After 15 years of gym junkyhood, I gave it all away when I started running.  So this afternoon me with my dicky achilles and Yvonne with her torn calf are going to hobble up the stairs and do some weights.  I've always viewed weights as an "easy" workout, and always considered cardio to be king.  Cardio, however has not been kind to me, so for now, weights it is. 

I am also toying with the idea of Daniel the Personal Trainer who comes to you.  He does the HIIT stuff.  On one hand I think it would be a challenge and fun, and on the other I don't want to take it up when I am not able to do it properly with the ankle behaving as it is. 

So, here is me learning the art of patience AGAIN.  A recurrent theme in my life.....and not one I have yet mastered.....!!


1 comment:

  1. Meet with Daniel the trainer. He'll probably have lots and lots of tricks up his sleeve of things you can still do, and do well, even with an injury.

    ReplyDelete