Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Whose idea was this anyway?

I've had my legs massaged, my patches prescribed, my eyebrows waxed, pajamas purchased, a zappy tens machine purchased, and a few running clothes washed and thrown in a bag. Hmmm, I don't see the bit where "I trained like a demon, got up at stupid o'clock to run for hours...every weekend for months and months." Nope that bit really is missing. And so now on Saturday I get to make a complete eejit out of myself by lining up for a six hour track race. Shite. As Talking Heads so eloquently put it...."how did I get here?".

But, "here" I most certainly am, so time to suck it up and see what the fuss is all about. I have been especially kind to my Achilles this week (read: I have been a lazy cow and done no training) and have self massaged, got a real (very painful) massage, I've got my nitrous oxide patches, a tens machine and my orthotics all lined up. I've been doing plenty of calf work at the gym, lots of leg weights, so my legs are nice and strong. So really, the legs are sorted.

It's really the big muscle on top of my shoulders I need to focus on now. And remember that I am a LION (little Irish obstinate nutbag). With an emphasis on OBSTINATE. Which is really another way of saying stubborn, strong willed, or determined. Isn't it? So, running around a 1km track for six hours, and walking when it all gets a bit hard is just mind over matter. And I have been lucky enough to be blessed with a few special people in my life who practice this whole determination thing really well. So I will just take a leaf out of their book and carry on, and remember to keep smiling. With the knowledge in my mind that at the end of it I will really deserve a nice cold beer and some carbs. Sorted.

1 comment:

  1. There's always the added bonus that you can't DNF a 6 hour race. Enjoy yourself,you crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete