Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pooped

Japan you have so much to offer, but you have totally worn me out. The last day of the hike we were prepared for. We stayed in a Japanese family home the night before and our "conversation" consisted of making appreciative noises over their food and their sake, and jabbing at points on the map, where we'd been. And where we were going. Big mountains, difficult, and slippy were three words bandied about. Richard could talk to them in his Japanese, but I had to do hand signals. Still, I got my washing done and a lot of sake so I got by....!!! But we learnt that the last day was to be the most challenging so far, and there was to be huge steep inclines then more and more and more.

The trails continued to be beautiful and I will never forget the Kumano Kodo journey. On the last day I swear I thought that farking hill could not possibly keep going up - but it did. I thought about bush step hell and how I might have been in it. Imagine 6.5km of bush steps. Nightmare. However eventually it ended, only to be replaced by a very technical rocky downhill...bd careful what you wish for...

On the trails I had lots of time to think and to reflect on my life. Some changes ahead. Some realisations. A lot of questions. Toughest physically few days of my life - mentally too. But some of the most enjoyable and peaceful.

Lots of wonderful experiences in Japan, many many surprises and coming home with a whole new perspective, new direction and very very happy :)

But it's not over yet, so bed now because tomorrow is another jam packed day .

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic trip. Looking forward to catching up with you on your return.

    ReplyDelete