Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Japanese Trail walking

Is farking hard but very very rewarding. And my observations of the Japs are this. They love their coffee, their beer, and should you be stranded in the smallest village in Japan, there will be a vending machine with lots of beer, lots of coffee and fuck all else. As was evidenced by today's 25km hike up the biggest mountains I've ever come across, only to find this tiny tiny town with three vending machines and a shop that sells eggs, root veg and nothing more. By the way, the eggs are for taking into the hot spring with you in a bag. By the time you are cooked so is the egg, and I presume then you eat it. The whole town is a spa town so the smell of the sulphur is very strong around the river, and being a one street town this means you can smell it anywhere close to the river including our bedroom.. ..But the hot springs are so refreshing. Yeah and now I'm so experienced, I'm doing the noodster thing every time. Last night was my first night working out Japanese footwear protocol. We worked out there were five shoes. One for outside, one for in. One for shower, one for toilet, one for Spa. Mr Japanese host laughed and laughed when I got it wrong...I laughed too, but honestly...five pairs? Pink ones just for a wee wee? And on the singing toilet? With the warmed seat?.....
Again today was beautiful, challenging and exciting. Coming into town at the end of a long day of climbing massive hills with the backpack you bought at the two dollar shop in Emu Plains is kinda weird. Carrying enough gear for a six day hike seems to get mysteriously heavier by the day..... I have worked out I didn't need half the stuff I brought and I really thought I'd travelled light. I really didn't need my hairspray or my makeup bag...honest. i had to hide it from Richard, but i think he saw it....
Could have done with another four of five nitrous oxide patches for my Achilles but the ice bath at lunch helped a lot. Pretty sure I won't be able to restock here. Raw fish and boiled eggs is about it in this place - but if is pretty special and I'm loving it ....

No comments:

Post a Comment