Sunday, June 16, 2013

Glow Worm Trail Run

Today was just fabulous.  Great company, beautiful scenery, fantastic course, great organisation - seriously - it had it all.  Except for heat.  It was SERIOUSLY cold - we got out of the car at Lithgow and it just hit us.  Can't ever remember feeling so cold.  God, Lithgow is one bleak place.  Ugly landscape, unattractive people, cold weather, the only thing the town has going for it is McDonalds and that's saying something.

Anyway. Enough being cheeky.

We got there a full two hours early so it was all about leaping about from foot to foot to keep warm.  Finally it was time to run and to strip off.  That was vey unpleasant.  Then we got running.  Within 500 m there was a water crossing.  Take your time and go over the stepping stones and stay dry (and warm) or balls out and dive in, running through the river (and it wasn't a little piddly one) in absolutely freezing water.  Yep, guess what I did?  I ran the heck across that water - yep and that felt GOOD!

Off we took and it was such a relief to get running and get warm.  What a beautiful beautiful run.  Really really loved it, loved the tunnel and the having to use the headlamps although I was kinda on my own and little scared but then people started appearing out of nowhere and it was good.  After the gradual 10km uphill to the tunnel it was a sweet downhill 10km to the finish, although my lack of much training since Japan apart from a spurt this week meant I wasn't race fit, although my legs felt strong.  I guess all that walking makes you fit for WALKING!  Not running!  But it was a gorgeous day and I don't get hung up on times or placings or any of that shit that shouldn't concern anyone except the top three, maybe four.

So, next week is the next Sydney Trail Series with Chris, week after is Woodford to Glenbrook and an exciting day beforehand which I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO but in order to protect the innocent and keep myself nice I will keep to myself. 

All in all, it's been a very interesting week, and I have another one coming up, then two nice races over the next two weekends.  Need to sort my shit out for July - talk of Gold Coast and of course Adelaide, but if I don't get my act together I will be going nowhere and racing nothing.....!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment