Friday, May 14, 2010

Bwwwwwaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and all the Saints...I am TERRIFIED!

Sitting here in bed with a coffee and contemplating that it is less than 24 hours until the race starts.  In fact, this time tomorrow I will have been running for two hours.  Running, walking, eating cheese sandwiches, hopefully feeling positive (hopefully fuelled by V and a few strong coffees) and hopefully being able to hold a reasonable pace! 

I can't believe how scared / excited / expectant / jumpy I am. 

One of the local runners organised a get together for all the mountains folk who are doing the race last night.  It was a good way to take the mind off the nerves and just be nervous about chatting with a crowd of people, most of whom I had never met before.  They were all really lovely and making running the first half sound so easy, I was happily lulled into a false sense of security until someone talked about how he climbed on his hands and knees up to Ironpot Ridge.  Ironpot is the bit that you can't train on before the race because it is private property, so no matter what, I wouldn't have been able to see if for myself anyway.  Too late now to start worrying!!  Feck, I could Worry for Ireland the way I am going.

Anyway, a bit of rock climbing can be fun, said she, reminding herself of her first venture down Tarro's Ladder and the abject fear that ensued.....

So, checklist:
  • Clip toenails
  • Try not to panic
  • Find all the painkillers I can get my hands on
  • Again, no panicking
  • Charge phone and iPod.  Learn the words to Tools "Forty Six and Two"
  • Relax
  • Don't even think about having a glass of red
  • Fake tan those thighs baby!
  • Put heart rate monitor on and find resting heart rate, just for a laugh
  • Go to bathroom fifty million times
  • Check gear.  Panic.  Check gear again.  Panic.
I wish I could show people inside my tummy.  My tummy has been in a state of turmoil all week and has churned and churned with a mixture of excitement, apprehension and fear.

However, next time I write, it will all be over....so I need to enjoy the build up, immerse myself in the moment and savour every little drop of this crazy, exciting, foolish, horrible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment