Thursday, May 13, 2010

Courage vs Fear

What makes people courageous?  Is it life experience?  Is it not really courage at all, but just getting on with the job at hand?  Is it a desire to do the right thing, no matter what?

I got to thinking about courage this morning because I appear to be lacking in this vital quality.

I get scared about all sorts of silly things.

Like this 54km race I am doing this weekend.

But why?  So I was justifying it to myself this morning like this.....

I am not going to be strapping 10 kilos of heroin to my stomach and get on a flight to Bali.  Repercussions of such behaviour could be:

a) death
b) a long time in a Balinese Prison

Both frightening options.

I am not planning to cycle up the freeway in a pack, clipped into those funny cycling shoes.  Repercussions of this could be:

a) death
b) serious injury

I am not planning to abseil down a cliff then climb through a cave filled with water, swim through said cave, where a rock falls behind me and I go to my watery grave.  Repercussions of this could be:

a)  watery grave
b)  a very scary few minutes dying

I am doing a long bushwalk in the most beautiful part of the countryside and to make it go quicker, I will run the bits that I can.  I will be with friends.  Madzer nutcase friends with freaky feet shoes with open minds and a sense of adventure. The weather is going to be perfect.  And I am going to have a mad sense of achievement afterwards.  I have trained for this, I know I can do it, and I know it will be hard at times. 

Not a frightening option, or scary consequence in sight.

So snap out of it Missus, and get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment