Sunday, July 25, 2010

M7 Marathon Relay

If this race taught me ANYTHING it is that I really am not even close to being ready for a full marathon. 

That said though, I did enjoy the race, and was surprised at this.

Starting at the halfway mark was a scary prospect, because I knew I would be up the front with all the speedsters and knew that people would start overtaking me, and what this would do to my motivation and confidence.  However, it wasn't too bad, I started off running pretty much on my own (well, Bernie was with me for about thirty seconds until she powered off into the distance!) and it was nice and peaceful, it was a beautiful sunny morning, and things weren't too bad at all.

My big problem with racing is adrenaline.  I've said this before but the excitement, anticipation or whatever it is kicks in BIG TIME when I set off and about 1km in my legs have gone to jelly and I am panicking like mad about all sorts of things.  By the 5km mark I am usually settled down and happy however.  Then about 5kms from the end I get all excited and nervous again and the same thing happens.  It feels like the physical adrenaline is squirting up my legs, a really really unpleasant feeling.

Anyway, first km was run in 4:44.  4:44!!!!  I have never run that fast IN MY LIFE.  Maybe there is something in this "don't go out too fast" lark.  The first 5kms were on or better than target pace (5.45) and I came through 10km in around 55 minutes (which is a PB for me by 2 mins) but then those hills got me and I slowed right down.  Hills.  I use that term loosely but when you are running up them they are hills and make no mistake.

At the turn around point I suddenly found myself ahead of people I would normally be miles behind, which gave rise to quite a few vanity fartleks (but obviously not enough!!)   Anyway, I slowed right down in the last 4kms, which suggests perhaps that if I want to work on my speed, I should look at doing 5km and 10km races and gradually build up holding a decent pace for 15km and then 20km.  Sounds sensible and relatively easy - but will it actually happen I wonder?

Anyway I was running along and suddenly got a very sweaty cuddle and there was my gorgeous friend Eagle who said he had been trying to catch up with me so we could run the last wee bit together.  This was Eagles 115th Marathon, so I was very honoured to run with him.  Suddenly Greg (my marathon relay partner) was there too, and the three of us ran into the Stadium together.  I couldn't see the finish line, it was right the way round the other side of the track!   (It was at this point the "I am not ready for a marathon - ever" thought really reared it's head). 

The three of us crossed the line together and there were lots of hugs and sweaty embraces, anyone would have thought we had won something the way we carried on - but this is what running is all about. 

I did enjoy this run much more than I expected, I wasn't really in the best mindset beforehand, but hanging out at the halfway point with Bernie was fun (Bernie you are a legend, well done on another PB) and just being out there plodding along on a Sunday morning with like minded individuals is a simple enough pleasure, but one that I really enjoy.  I kinda knew from the outset I wouldn't get my PB but it didn't really matter.  As I was telling anyone who would listen 1475 calories is not to be sneezed at!  It is much much more than that though, and I need to remember that despite being nervous beforehand, (and being totally crap at it) I really do enjoy running races. 

4 comments:

  1. Knew it. All that decent training was always going to overcome scarediness.
    Great job, now time to sign up for the right job.
    Next running challenge: August Sunday morning run from Circa Shops Norwest along M7 (the part you didn't run) and back, then beverage/food at Cafe McKells. I'm thinking you, Martin, Ian, Rachel, Alison, Nat etc etc.
    What do you think? What date looks good to kick off? One more question - do you still have the same mobile number as a couple of weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you today I'm sorry we sort of missed each other at the finish. I agree 1475 calories is a great effort but more importantly another good solid run today. Love your work. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really great day's outing.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great finish to a race! Well done. Never a dull moment in your life at the moment - hope the dust settles where you want it to and all goes well. Maybe see you amongst a few runners doing the C2S.....and there are some future plans where I'll maybe see you too...shhhh for now though.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete