Saturday, September 11, 2010

Not Dumped !

Ha.  Does little "Jig of Glee".

Not dumped afterall.

Yesterday Simon devised a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.  A plan whereby we get to motivate each other to get out of bed and run, one lap of the river run together, and one lap at our own pace.

So bed at 9pm except Friday nights are really bloody noisy and so I read my book, tossed, turned, turned over pillows, shook pillows, patted pillows, threw pillows on the floor, heard John leave to pick up Curtis, heard Curtis come in, smelt Curtis heating up an Indian, heard the microwave bing, heard the fridge complain and beep that someone had left it open, heard doors squeak, heard cars go up and down the road (god there were a lot of them last night) and finally heard the birds singing and I am not sure I got one wink of sleep in between.  So when my alarm went off at 5am I threw it across the bed and snuggled back down.  This wasn't looking promising.

However, S was expecting his "wakey wakey hands off Snakey" text message telling him to get up, so decided to text me, which scared the bejesus out of me and I was up in a flash and out the door and down at the river for the arranged meeting time.  With lots of "F" words coming out of my mouth as I hopped into running gear, and gathered up the paraphenalia of the run, garmin, iPod, water, head.

Anyway, the first lap was freaking hard!!  I realised a flat run was not going to get any special treatment, and struggled to keep up.  But I did and it was good.  After a lot of huffing and puffing on lap one, he took off to do his fast lap and I dropped back to a more sedate pace, sat back and enjoyed the scenery, the music and the just being up at farty sparrow o'clock with the sun glistening off the river and a chill still in the air.  Bloody beautiful way to start the day.  Apart from the big dead turkey on the road, which S mistook for an Emu. 


So - first long run in what feels like a hundred years, 14 km (ok so its not that long) but it felt good and I was able to sprint the last 400m, so all in all, a very very pleasing foray back into longer distances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment