Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3 2011. Going well.

So - three days into this new year - what's been happening?

Well, New Years Eve saw Monica and I set off at 7am for what I thought was going to be a 20km run in the National Park - Monica had other ideas - but we eventually settled on 26km.  So we started off the run feeling great (I had been very nervous about doing a long run as I had been feeling up and down with what felt like a virus, lots of sleeping, sore achy limbs and visits to the bathroom) but was definately feeling better on Friday morning.

I love the smell of the forest at that time of the morning, mixed in with the fresh smells of sunscreen and freshly washed running gear, I was having one of those "isn't this bloody marvellous, where else would you want to be on a morning like this?" moments.  Later I would find myself wishing to be anywhere else than in 37 degree heat, at the bottom of a big hill with headspins and an alarmingly clammy feeling about my head.  But we ran out to Nepean Lookout, felt good, it was only on the way back on the DOWNHILL bit that I started to feel odd.  My neck and head were sore, but I was a bit embarrassed to say anything.  We did some run / walk stuff up the hills but by the time we reached the 23km mark (and that wonderful downhill to the causeway) I actually had to stop otherwise I think I may have spewed.  So I got to the causeway and sat in the shade and was totally scundered to find myself saying yes to Monica's offer of going to get the car and come and get me.  Not sure if it was the heat or what but I felt like crap.  However was still happy to get a long run in.

NYE we had some visitors and watched the little documentary about Coast to Kosi.  I have absolutely no desire to run for two days solid (my 25km disaster still very fresh in my mind) but watching the movie really brought it home to me what it takes to do something like that (240 odd kilometres from sea level to the highest point in Australia).  Watching it with someone who has done it was funny.  They make it sound so easy.  Ah yes well there is this big hill and it is 7km long, but once you are up it, it is dead flat.  Yeah right. 

Still, watching it made me think I would like to be a better runner so that I could do something special - although clearly not on that scale.  Hence the new years resolution of running daily and not drinking.  Drinking is keeping me fat and being dehyrdated doesn't help my running.  So, it's gotta go.  Losing weight SHOULD help my running, after all, I will have less to carry around with me! 

So - trying to limit carbs at night and eat cleaner.  Last night I experimented with a recipe I made up, and I have to say, I was very pleased with the result - as was the rest of the family.  Here's my Turkey Balls recipe for anyone who is interested:

Turkey Mince (500g)
A quarter of a cabbage, finely chopped
A carrot, grated
1 squirt of lemongrass out of the squeezy tubes you get in the salad section of the supermarket
1 squirt of ginger from same squeezy tube (except it says ginger on it)
1 tbs of fish sauce.  Go easy on this, otherwise it will be DISGUSTING!
1 dash of sesame oil
1 tsp of brown sugar

Mix it all up in a bowl and make into balls.  Oven bake for about 40 mins.  Eat with HP sauce and a salad - YUM!!!  The contrast of the sour fish sauce and sweet brown sugar is fab, and the cabbage makes it look and feel like a dim sim.  I froze them in individual freezer bags for a high protein low carb snack that is quick to access in an emergency!

Yesterday, apart from being a domestic goddess, I also swam 20 laps of Glenbrook Pool and did a 10km run down and up Mitchells Pass.  Before bed I did some weights, although I get nervous about smashing my legs with lunges before a run I've never done, so took it easy.  But all in all - a good start.

Today I did about 8.5km following a group of very nice but much faster runners.  This was good for a number of reasons.  I am rather sensitive about my running and lack of speed and this is one thing I need to overcome.  No point stressing about it, it's never going to change.  However, facing my fear of looking like an eejit is something I need to do, in order to move forward.  This morning I woke up, turned off the alarm and looked for a million reasons or excuses why I could not run with these people.  But I did turn up and I really loved the run, and I didn't even feel silly for being slowest, in fact I had a really nice time and had a big belly laugh when I found sticks in the shape of an arrow, pointing me in the right direction because I was so far behind.  I knew it was only a short loop and even if I got "lost" I would be safe as I know the general area.  Definately a good little run to add to my training schedule (though would be concerned about the serpent factor on a hot day).  Anyway - todays run was a step forward in me ditching the negative thoughts I often have about my running, so that was good.

Later I think I will head down to Regatta for a ride - but only if I can get my tyres blown up!  It is a knack I have yet to learn, and the last time I took the trusty steed out for a ride, I think I used up more calories trying to get the tyres up than the actual ride itself.

Tomorrow back to work, but will run before work - fuzzy feel good endorphins required to get back into the daily grind.

Wed and Thurs are Personal Training days, and I will run to and from the sessions, Friday night is the Twilight Series (10km Yab Nur with Cool Running) and Saturday morning is the CR West 5km Challenge, so there is all good stuff to keep me interested and motivated this week.  The plan is to commit to as many social runs as possible so that I don't skip sessions, and to plan the week ahead, write it here, then stick to it - my blog holding me accountable, sort of!  If I say it - I have to do it!!! 

2 comments:

  1. It was a great run this morning. Good to have so many people out for the misty mountains weather put on. Glad you enjoyed the curcuit.

    I fear it may be a little tougher on Aust Day if it turns on another 35+ degree day as per the past couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "isn't this bloody marvellous, where else would you want to be on a morning like this?" moments. <<- simply the BEST arent they! those moments.
    you are a great read - love your 2011 goals :D i hope you achieve them.

    ann x

    ReplyDelete