Sunday, May 22, 2011

IOMS

My dedication knows no bounds, and yesterday morning, yes, Saturday, I got up at 5.30am to meet Simon at the river at 6am to run.  This really has been my first flat road run in ages, up here it is impossible to find flat.  We did 11km and I ran much faster than usual (keeping up with Simon who has now become very fit).  I have had DOMS before, but I swear, I had IOMS (instant onset muscle soreness) afterwards!  The fronts of my thighs were burning!  So I did what any sensible woman would do and went back to bed for a few hours after the run.  This morning my legs felt like I'd run a marathon, so I took them, my hangover and the dog out for a 8km run which HURT - EVERYWHERE!!!

Last night I caught up with some girls I haven't seen for around 15 years.  We were all the "soccer wives" from way back when, and have lost contact over the years as life moves along.  Amazingly eye opening evening, hearing everyones stories.  One girl was a heroin addict for nearly ten years and basically lost 10 years of her life - can't remember a thing.   Another went through a marriage break up and moved cities.  Another had a daughter who played professional soccer and became a lesbian (I am not sure if I put that right - do you "become" a lesbian?) - another lost everything when her husband had an accident leaving him almost a paraplegic and unable to work again.  I think back on the last fifteen years and I have really been blessed.  Really lucky.  I might take the piss about the end of the world and all that but I am pretty certain there is someone up there taking care of me and for that I am very very grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment