Sunday, June 5, 2011

Positive Steps.

So - last week I did what I am very good at.  Stuffing things up.  Despite still niggling hip and very sore achilles, I did 11km with Simon at a much faster pace than I should have.  Then I ran another 7km downhill (despite being told by nice physio not to run downhill until hip stabilises) to get my car post puncture.  Then Sunday I ran 17km in the national park.  By Monday I was in a world of hip and achilles pain and hated running, the world, and all who reside in it.  My grumpy demeanour continued right up until the sun came out on Friday morning (coincidence??) and I didn't do a pick of exercise all week, although I balanced that with careful eating so that I wouldn't finish the week REALLY pissed off to have undone all my good work.

I couldn't face getting up at 5am again on Saturday to run with Simon and anyway, I wasn't sure how my achilles would go, so ran this morning instead.

It is amazing what a good run can do for your head.

Set off feeling sore and frankly, a bit negative.  But as I warmed up, and the blood started pumping I started to feel absolutely marvellous, and the longer I ran, the less sore the achilles became.  Or it might have been the nurofen and codeine tablet taking effect.  Not sure, but it felt really good.

Back to the house with a whole new positive perspective and plans for the week ahead that include bringing running gear to work, heck, I even looked at upcoming races, but we all know that is STUPID!  Maybe if I can just muddle along with a number of easy runs, say five a week, and do this for three weeks then re-assess.

There is a race I would dearly like to do but I am over making donations to races now!  I suppose now is a good time to start planning anyway. 

In an effort to be sensible and cross train, this afternoon Monica and I are taking out our trusty bikes for a turn around the Regatta Centre and the River.  Garmin has died though, so won't have any idea on time, distance etc, but frankly, that's probably not a bad thing, I think it will be ugly having last been on the bike what seems like an ice age ago.....!


Edit to say:  The bike ride with Monica was totally magic and just what I needed.  32km - this season is just gorgeous and the fallen leaves and beautiful autumn colours and crispy temps just added to the experience.  We rode around the river from the Regatta Centre and headed up to Regentville and the farms out that way.  Was beautiful and just what I needed for my sore hips and calves.  Monica loved it too, having lost her mojo after Six Foot and next week another ride is planned.  Look out MAMILs!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment