Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Day - 2012



So, New Years Day 2012 was a cracker of a day - warm, sunny, hangover free.  I thought about all the things I wanted to achieve this year.  It all got too big and complicated, so I quickly directed my thoughts to more worthwhile pursuits, like looking for my bike helmet and cleaning out under the stairs.  
The Boot Camp had been going well.  Each day I have been doing something and trying to mix up the swimming, riding and running, because, as usual, calves and achilles are carrying on.  So, Thursday I did another 1.5km swim and weights (100 squats with the bar again) and Saturday was a 32km bike ride.

Despite the exercise, good food and generally looking after myself as well as getting to bed early, I had been feeling a bit off colour, and before the bike ride I really questioned if it was a good idea, but once out there, it was fine.  So I wasn't all that worried about going into the National Park for a run with Kel and a hike down to the Erskine Creek.  The plan was to swim in the creek then hike back out.  We did that, although the run felt just wierd and uncomfortable.  


On the climb down, there was lots of discussions about snakes, as the hot sunny conditions were perfect snake sunbaking weather, and there was a bit of squealing and carrying on when we saw something serpent like crawling through the undergrowth.  On closer inspection, it was just a little blue tongue lizard, but it reminded me of the famous Goanna Sighting of 2011 on Six Foot Track with Monica and I thinking some kind of modern day dinosaurs were living in Katoomba.  No matter, we got safely down the the creek and we were very brave and once we had established that there were no eels, snakes or other living creatures in the river, we got in.  Perfect spot for a swim, perfectly clear water, just beautiful.  Lots of giggling when we touched rocks or each others foot and mistaking it for a snake.  Well, giggling after the initial gasping and shrieking.....

The climb back up, whilst reasonably steep, is really not that hard, so before we knew it we were back up on the top of the world again.  

This is when new years day went all wierd on me.  Got home, had a shower and felt really bizarre, cold and shivery.  Wrapped myself up in about seven hundred towels and lay on the bed.  Felt really odd.  Tried to stand up.  Everything went black and got that feeling of blood rushing from your head to somewhere it is not supposed to go, so lay back down.  Lying down hurt, every bit of me was sore, so tried to get up again, only to have to lie down.  Continued this routine on and off for most of the night, and lets face it, most of today.  Telling myself this is NOT an omen for 2012 and it WILL be a good year for me.  Plus, it is an amazing kick start to the 2012 diet......so all is good.....or it will be just as soon as I can get out of bed....



  Swimming in Erskine Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment