Sunday, May 5, 2013

The BEST weekend

Had THE BEST weekend in as long as I can remember.  And I am a very happy camper right now.  Very happy, very surprised, in fact this weekend came at me from a totally different angle and the total sideswipe was utterly unexpected but totally delightful.

So, in summary.  The Weekend.
First up - dining.
Had the choice on Friday night of fancy Sydney restaurant or small family owned restaurant where they are totally passionate about their food.  Read - Italian hand signalling type of passionate.  Chose the latter. Tastebuds happy with that choice.  Rolled home feeling full and happy.  I didn't think we could match Flower Drum in Melbourne, but it seems we did.  Well, almost.  Flower Drum will be my all time favourite lunch ever in my whole life.  I think I grinned from ear to ear for the entire meal.  Which makes eating difficult, so it was lucky the meal was beautifully simple despite the chopsticks.

Post Hiking - found place with open fire but with people looking at each other unhappily with no food.  Moved next door to Tapas place with comfy sofa, fabulous tapas menu and craft beer.  Spent the afternoon sharing secrets on the sofa and eating and drinking our heads off.  Left with happy, warm, smiley contentedness that was partly related to the exercise endorphins and largely related to the cosy intimacy of the comfy sofa and related tummy pleasing goodies - and the company :)
Saturday night -  Village Indian delights with matching wine - delicious.  Glad we did that massive hike though ;).

Next up - Hiking
Chose the Undercliff Track to showcase the very best of the Blue Mountains.  The nature gods put on the best possible weather conditions for a long hike and the waterfalls were flowing, the lyrebirds were singing and the sun was shining.  Could there be anywhere better in Sydney than a sunlight dappled mountain trail on a Saturday afternoon?  I'm trying really hard to think, but no, there is nowhere better you could be.  And with fabulous company, I guess that is the perfect day.

Finally - The Big Smoke
No visit to Sydney would be complete for an out of towner than a trip to the big smoke so we dutifully made our way to the Oyster Bar to watch the world go by.  Management had a different plan however and found us a table right on the water in the most perfect spot, so clearly the RM Williams country looks pays off in the big city!

The weekend ended with goodbyes, the airport and then lots and lots of introspection on the way home.  How could I have possibly missed these signals for so long?  And what am I going to do about it? 

However, in the meantime, I have Japan to look forward to (five sleeps!!!!) and the excitement of all that plus training for my big race and the possibility of a new job, new company, new life.  For some reason, my life has decided to change gear, step itself up a notch and go full throttle ahead, after a little bit of idling for a while.  That's a great thing for me and I am totally loving it, if not surprised by the alarming pace of it all.  If I had to describe how I feel about it, I would say I am EMBRACING it all, enjoying it, learning from it all and trying to stay compassionate to everyone around me.  And writing it all down so that when I am 70 and have no teeth I can giggle to myself about it all......

No comments:

Post a Comment